For the vanilla cupcakes:
175g softened butter
175g caster sugar
3 medium eggs (beaten)
1tsp vanilla extract
175g self raising flour
For the orange frosting:
200g full fat soft cheese
200g icing sugar
1 well scrubbed orange
- Preheat the oven to 170°C on the Circulaire setting if using a Smeg Oven. Line a 12 hole muffin tin with large cupcake cases.
- To make the cupcake batter, beat the butter and sugar together with Smeg’s Stand Mixer fitted with wire whisk attachment until very light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the eggs, a little at a time, beating well between each addition. Beat in the vanilla extract. Sift the flour over the top and fold in with a spatula.
- Divide the cake batter between the paper cases. Bake in the middle of the oven for 20 minutes until well risen and pale golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool.
- To make the frosting, sift the icing sugar into the Smeg Stand Mixer bowl and add the butter and vanilla extract. Using Smeg’s Stand Mixer fitted with flex-edges beater, beat the mixture until smooth and creamy.
- Finely grate half the orange zest and set aside for garnish later. For the other half of the orange, use a citrus zester to make thin stands of orange zest. Mix in the soft cheese and finely grated orange zest into the mixture until thoroughly combined.
- Once the cakes are cool, pipe or swirl the frosting on top. Sprinkle a few strands of orange zest over the cakes and serve.